Have you just found a pill lying on the floor, but don’t know the name of the pill? Is the pill bottle you took it from not nearby? You’ll learn how to identify this pill after reading and following the directions in this article. Drugs.com’s Pill ID Wizard will get you the name of this pill quickly and fairly painlessly, with only a few mouse clicks.
- Open your web browser.
- Type the web address to the Pill ID Wizard into the address bar of your browser. The address is: http://www.drugs.com/pillidentifier/.
- Read the statement page that is given to you. The statement page pretty much tells you that this is not a replacement for any knowledge given by a doctor, and that the page is not perfect in any respect.
- Click the “I Agree” button. You’ll be directed to http://www.drugs.com/imprints.php. This page is the wizard page.
- Look at the pill. Look for any numbers, or letters that may be on the pill. You’ll probably need a magnifying glass to see these numbers. You’ll need to look carefully to determine whether a character is one letter or another? Common misconceptions include the letter “I” for the number 1, along with many other issues.
- Type the characters you find on the one side into the “Imprint” box.
- If there is a bar in between two numbers insert a space into the box instead of the bar symbol.
- Type a space, and, if present on the reverse side, continue to type the other imprints from the other side of the pill’s area, into the “Imprints” box.
- Click the “Color” drop-down box and select your color by clicking the option that best matches it.
- Click the “Shape” drop-down box and select the shape by clicking the item’s description. Click right on the picture of the shape of the pill. Make sure the shape is highlighted in blue, otherwise you’ll be selecting the wrong item.
- Click the “Search” button.
- Wait a moment for the website to find your pill name. It will also pull other information along with it, such as the pill’s side affects, drug details, along with a picture of the pill itself (seen from several angles). Done!
- The iPhone also has a purchasable app that’s cheap (if you “purchased” the app when it was free, you’ll not see a price increase, if you try to reinstall the app from the phone). This app can be obtained from the App Store by typing “pill identifier by drugs.com”.
- You can also search by the drug’s name (if you already know it), along with the NDC (National Drug Code) code (if you know it), but that won’t help you if there is no identification already.
Edit Things You’ll Need
- Access to the Internet
- Some computer knowledge
- Pill to identify
Edit Related wikiHows
- How to Use the Drugs.com Drugs Interactions Checker
Edit Sources and Citations
- http://www.answerbag.com/category/what-is-this-pill_3598 – “idea from” source
- Read on wikiHow
- Email this Article